The Academic format is for those who want to study or train in an English-speaking university or Institutions of Higher and Further Education. Admission to undergraduate and postgraduate courses is based on the results of the Academic test. IELTS Academic may also be a requirement to join a professional organisation in an English-speaking country.
Thus, You may take IELTS Academic if you want to:
- Study or train at a university or college as an undergraduate.
- Study or train at a university or college as a postgraduate.
- Join a professional association.
- Gain registration in a professional organisation (e.g. medical, nursing, accounting, engineering).
This Test consists of four sections:
Reading (60 Minutes)
The Reading component consists of 40 questions. A variety of question types is used in order to test a wide range of reading skills. These including reading for gist, reading for main ideas, reading for detail, skimming, understanding logical argument, recognising writers' opinions, attitudes and purpose.Writing (60 Minutes)
You will be presented with a graph, table, chart or diagram and asked to describe, summarise or explain the information in your own words. You may be asked to describe and explain data, describe the stages of a process, how something works or describe an object or event.
You will be asked to write an essay in response to a point of view, argument or problem. Responses to both tasks must be in a formal style.
You will listen to four recorded texts, monologues and conversations by a range of native speakers, and write your answers to a series of questions.Speaking (10-15 Minutes)
Speaking consists of 3 sections-
- The Examiner will ask you general questions about yourself and a range of familiar topics, such as home, family, work, studies and interests.
- You will be given a card which asks you to talk about a particular topic. You will have one minute to prepare before speaking for up to two minutes.
- You will be asked further questions connected to the topic in Part 2. These questions will give you the opportunity to discuss more abstract ideas and issue.
Every test is recorded.